Derby CT Public Library – History and Genealogy Room
Genealogy Resources at the Derby Connecticut Public LIbrary
As with many of the larger local libraries, the Derby Connecticut Public Library has amassed a very good collection of books for use in genealogy. The local history and genealogy room has a large table and comfortable chairs.
Many New England families pre-date the revoluntionary war. If you think that your ancestor may have fought in the Revolutionary War, you should consult the DAR lineage books. The DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) is a lineage society. If a descendant of your revolutionary war veteran applied to the DAR society a record most likely exists within the DAR. The Derby Public Library has a almost a complete set of DAR lineage books from 1 – 166.
There are also quite a number of books which contain vital record information. These books include;
- Barbour Collection – (Danbury, Darien, Derby)
- Barbour Collection – (Milford, New Canaan, New Hartford)
- Connecticut Vital Records – (Woodstock)
- Connecticut Vital Records – (Bolton)
- Connecticut Vital Records – (Norwich [part 1 & part 2])
- Connecticut Vital Records – (New Haven [part 1 & part 2])
There’s a few books which contain family vital statistic information which is not quite a vital record compilation. Derby library contains a few of these books including;
- A Genealogical Register of the Inhabitants of the Town of Litchfield, CT
by George C. Woodruff, 1845
- East Haven Register, containing an account of names, marriages, births…
by Rev. Stephen Dodd, 1910
A family lineage book typically traces one or more founding fathers and or mothers and traces all of their know descendents forward. The Derby library contains quite a number of these family lineage books. Most of the founding fathers have roots in Colonial New England. A large collection of more than 100 books with families with ties to Derby, Connecticut can be found in the library.
In addition to the many family lineage books, you can find a great deal more including
- The Early CT Probate books
- Many local histories
- New Haven and Connecticut Colonial records
- Derby City Directories – hard cover and on microfilm
If you have family members who are from the Derby Connecticut or surrounding towns, the Derby Library is a good resource for you to perform your research.