This week’s blogging prompt is the State of Georgia. Blog about an ancestor or your families connection to Georgia. If you don’t have any connections to Georgia, find a Georgia resource useful for genealogy research to highlight and write about. This week’s prompt runs from 1/27/2013 – 2/2/2013. If you choose to follow along, I would appreciate a mention to the Hidden Genealogy Nuggets website.
Joseph Dallas Poole was the third great grandfather of my wife.
Joseph Dallas Pool was born in October 1844 in Georgia. Joseph’s mother and father were both from Georgia. Joseph was a black man and presumably grew up as a slave before the Civil War. Shortly after the Civil War ended, he presumably married young black girl named Sarah. In 1870, Joseph, Sarah and two young children William and George were living in Gwinnett County, Georgia. Neither Joseph nor his wife Sarah could read or write. He was working as a farm laborer. The neighborhood included many young white and black families. Virtually everyone in the area worked on farms.
On May 2, 1875, Joseph was married to Annette Parks. Sarah is believed to have died in 1874 or 1875. In 1880, (Joseph) Dallas and his wife Nattie are living in District 248 of Jackson County, Georgia. Dallas and Nattie have seven children living with them, William, George, Jess, Mary S, Lulah, Fannie and Jnett. Fannie and Jnett were the only children born after Joseph and Annette were married. In about 1895, Joseph married a young black girl named Nancy. Nancy was about thirty years younger than her husband was. In 1900, Joe and Nancy were living in the Cunningham District of Jackson County, Georgia. Living with them were Lula, Joe H, Joe (grandson of Joseph Dallas Pool) and six boarders. Joseph rents his property and is working as a farmer. Living right next to him is his son Jess, along with Jess’ wife and three young children.
In 1910, Joe and his wife Nattie are living in the Cunningham District of Jackson County, Georgia. Livings with them are their son Joe H, James and an adopted son. Also living with them are John Maddox, his wife Birtha and a son. John Maddox was one of the boarders living in the household in 1900. Joe is still can’t read or write and was working on the farm he rents. Living a couple households away is Joe H. Pool (presumably his grandson), his wife and a son.
In January 1920, (Joseph) Dal and his wife Nancy are living in the Randolph District of Jackson County, Georgia. Living with them is their son Jim. Living right next door is Joe Henry Pool, his wife Annie May and their son William. The neighborhood in which they live is mostly young white families working on farms. On February 12, 1920, Joseph Dallas Pool died in Jackson County, Georgia.
Children of Joseph Dallas Pool and Sarah [–?–]
1. William Poole, b. Abt. 1867, GA, d. unknown
2. George Poole, b. May 1869, GA, d. 19-Jul-1921 Logan Co., AR; m. Mary Blake Abt. 1886, GA, b. Nov 1866 GA, d. 1934, AR.; both are buried in the Poole Family Cemetery in Scranton, Logan County, Arkansas.
3. Jess Poole, b. Apr. 1873, GA, d. Dec 22, 1922, Logan Co, AR; m.Mizsa [–?–] Abt 1896, GA, b. Dec 1873, GA, d. unknown.
4. Mary S. Poole, b. Abt. 1874 GA, d. unknown
5. Lulah Poole, b. Abt. 1875 GA, d. unknown
Children of Joseph Dallas Pool and Annette (Natttie) Parks
1. Fannie Poole, b. Abt 1877, GA, d. unknown
2. Jnett Poole, b. Dec 1879, GA, d. unknown
3. Lulah Poole, b. Dec 1877, GA, d. unknown
Children of Joseph Dallas Pool and Nancy [–?–]
1. Joe Henry Poole, b. Sep 1898, GA, d. unknown; m. Annie May [–?–] Abt. 1918 GA, b. Abt. 1900, d. unknown.
2. James Poole, b. Abt. 1905, GA, d. unknown
3. Leptus Hisah (adopted son) b. Abt 1895, d. unknown
1. 1870 US Census, Cains P O, Gwinnett County, Georgia household of Joseph Pool:
1. 1880 US Census, District 248, Jackson County, Georgia, household of Dallas Poole:
2. 1900 US Census, Cunningham District, Jackson County, Georgia, household of Joe D Pool:
3. 1910 US Census, Cunningham District, Jackson County, Georgia, household of Joe D. Pool:
4. 1920 US Census, Randolph District 248, Jackson County, Georgia, household of Dal Pool:
5. death certificate of Dallas Poole
6. index of death records in Jackson County, Georgia
7. index of marriages in Jackson County, Georgia:
A Few Georgia Genealogy Links
Search Georgia Newspapers and NewspaperArchive.com
Georgia Newspaper Archives at Genealogy Bank