Genealogy by the States – Week 10 – Virginia
This week’s blogging prompt is the State of Virginia. Blog about an ancestor or your families connection to Virginia. If you don’t have any connections to Virginia, find a Virginia resource useful for genealogy research to highlight and write about. This week’s prompt runs from 3/10/2013 – 3/16/2013. If you choose to follow along, I would appreciate a mention to the Hidden Genealogy Nuggets website.
As early as some of my ancestors came, my connections to Virginia are extremely limited and somewhat fuzzy. The closest I seem to get is John (Shelton) Chilton my 9th great grand uncle. He died in Virginia.
John seems to have been born about 1650. He was the son of James Shelton and Mary Bathurst. They were my 10th great grandparents. John Shelton died on the 15th of November 1706 in Westmoreland, Virginia.
As my connections to Virginia were very limited this week I tried to have a few extra links to websites and resources which are useful for genealogy research in Virginia. I particularly like Virginia Memories: Digital Collections. I had a blog post about this website some time ago. Here is the link to that post Virginia Memories.
Children of John Chilton and Jane
1. William Shelton
A few Virginia Genealogy Links
- Virginia Genealogical Society
- Virginia Historical Society
- The Library of Virginia
- A Guide to Genealogical Resources at the University of Virginia
- Stafford, Virginia Death Records 1856 – 1857 (not found anywhere else on the internet, I believe)
- Virginia Memories: Digital Collections
- Genealogy Information from the Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia Gen Web
- American History and Genealogy Project – Virginia
Search Virginia Newspapers and NewspaperArchive.com
Virginia Newspaper Archives at Genealogy Bank